Friday, October 30, 2009

10 more days to go...

until Beta Day. We had a busy weekend with my best friend's 30th birthday party Friday, and Halloween festivities yesterday. Christopher's was Davy Crockett, and Jer went to work Friday as "Swine Flu". He wore horrifying pink scrubs, a surgical mask, and pig ears/nose. He was so proud of his costume idea - he hot glued cold medicine boxes to the shirt. Unfortunately, he lost his work costume contest to Captain Morgan and Jon and Kate Gosselin. ;)

In other news...I moved my hematologist appointment to this past Friday. And I have homogenous MTHFR A1298C. My hematologist sent me on my way with a large folder of articles to read, and a prescription for Lovenox injections to start upon a positive pregnancy test. He said to continue the folic acid and baby aspirin as well. I'm feeling better about all of it, as I have a doctor that is definitely proactive. I hope I get to fill the script sooner rather than later.

I've been crampy for the past few days after the IUI, but I hear it's fairly normal...anyone? I am torn as to whether I will allow myself to see how long the trigger takes to work it's way out of my system using HPTs, or if I will be "strong" and wait. I bought three tests at the dollar store, and tested last night. It was of course positive, as the trigger is still in my system at 3dpIUI. I don't know if it will just be a form of torture to test every other day or so until beta. I am not a fan of the 2ww!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What the MTHFR?

Thanks to everyone from LFCA who had come over to my new little blog! I truly appreciate it - I've been reading links from LFCA for over a year now, and commenting some, but never felt like I was up for a blog of my own. I don't really know what changed, but it's nice to have a virtual support group, when my friends IRL are all very much fertile and don't really have an understanding.

Going on to address the title...yesterday afternoon at 4:50, I got a call from a hematology/oncology clinic. My RE had referred me for an appointment, but the woman doing the scheduling couldn't tell me why. Of course I went into ultra-panic mode. Oncology? What did he see in my blood work? I put in a call to my RE immediately following scheduling my appointment (I could barely remember my social or name when talking to the woman, I was really shocked.) My RE called back and said that I have the genetic mutation with the acronym MTHFR - which, in some cases, can lead to miscarriage, late pregnancy loss, etc. All of my losses have been early (chemical pregnancies), but we don't really know if this could be an issue. He said not to worry, and we should go ahead with the IUI. I was hesitant - I of course don't want another loss, but I also don't want to "waste" this cycle by cancelling it at the last minute. After some talking, Jer (my husband) and I decided to go ahead with the procedure and trust my RE's assurance that if he felt it was a serious threat, that he would never go ahead with something that would put me or a potential baby at risk. I'm hoping this was the right decision.

So...we spent the morning at the clinic, while Christopher spent the morning playing with friends. All seemed to go well, Jer had good swimmers, and the procedure itself took seconds. Now we just wait. Jer would like me to not test at all until the beta, but I'm not sure if I can hold out.

Hoping for reassurance from the hematologist on Tuesday. I didn't have any clotting issues with my successful pregnancy, and I wasn't on anything (no baby aspirin, etc). This time, my RE does have my on the aspirin therapy just as a precaution. I honestly have no idea how my son made it through the early stages of pregnancy with the way my body seems to be working against any future babies...

Thanks again for all the comments...I'm off to do some blog reading!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

IUI set for tomorrow...

Today's ultrasound showed one mature follicle at 18mm, and another smaller one at 15mm. So, hopefully at least one will release a nice, healthy egg for me! We go in tomorrow morning for the IUI. One more day, and then the wait begins.

Monday, October 26, 2009

One more day....

I went in today for a monitoring ultrasound. The largest follicle has grown to 16mm, and the next one down is at 13. The rest are "tiny". I go in tomorrow for another u/s, and hopefully will trigger then. My uterine lining had increased, and is looking good!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

First Post - Background

Here I am...days away from my first IUI, hoping to become a mom of two. Someday. Here's a little background:

I met and married my husband, and we started trying to for a baby soon after we got married. My mom was very sick, battling cancer, and we didn't want to waste any time that she had left with us. Right before Christmas of 2006, I got a positive pregnancy test, after what I thought was a very light period. I had a set of betas run a few days apart, and although I started on progesterone immediately, I lost the pregnancy about a week after finding out - right after Christmas. We stopped "trying" that next cycle, and I was surprised by another positive pregnancy test right before Valentine's day. I was referred to an RE for monitoring, and things progressed normally, although I was told in the beginning by my RE to "not get my hopes up." In September of 2007, I had a healthy baby boy.

My mom, who was my best friend, got to spend just over 5 months with my son. She passed away on February 23, 2008. I still can't completely believe that I will never hear her voice again, and that my son will never really know his Gannie. She was 53 when she died. I miss her every day, and try not to remember her last days and hours - I wouldn't want anyone to experience what we went through.

I now have a two year old. My husband and I want one more "little critter" (a nickname my mom gave my son). We know we are so blessed with our son, but we want him to have a sibling, and I long for another baby to hold. Since we started trying again about 6 months ago, I have had 3 chemical pregnancies. We have a new RE that we are working with - and this cycle involves 100mg of Clomid on days 5-9, and an HCG trigger shot when I have at least one mature follicle. Last Friday, on CD 13, I had 6 total follicles, two of which were at 10mm, and the rest were smaller. I'm hoping that's a decent response, and if I get pregnant, I can actually STAY that way this time.

I'm creating this blog as a way to keep a record of the next few days, weeks, months. We have a total of 6 cycles covered by insurance, so this is 1 of 6 - our first real try at a second child with help.

My next ultrasound is tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping to have a couple of mature follicles waiting!